New Mexico Hunts offer some of the best elk, mule deer, aoudad, and turkey hunts in the states! Let Bust’n Tails book your next hunt with one of the most highly recommended outfitters in New Mexico!
With over 15 years of combined professional guiding experience in New Mexico, we understand how important your hunt is and that is why we are committed to ensuring all of our clients the best New Mexico hunting experience of a lifetime! We specialize in free range trophy big game hunts that occur on some of the best public and private lands within the state of New Mexico!
There’s no better time to apply for your NM big game hunting tags! We will handle all aspects of preparing and submitting your application for the NM Big Game drawing. We can also assist clients wishing to purchase landowner tags if they are unsuccessful in the draw or missed the application deadline. The draw application deadline is March 21, 2018.
Fully Outfitted Elk ($5,000/hunter) –
Includes 5 full days of expert guide service, 6 nights lodging, meals, and beverages. Your guide service also includes field transportation, game retrieval, skinning, quartering, rough caping, and packing out your trophy.
This is a popular option with experienced elk hunters or hunters who have hunted the area before. This package includes 2 full days of expert guide service, as well as 6 nights lodging, beverages, and meals for the duration of your 5 day hunt.
Archery Elk Hunts Units & Dates
- NM Unit 34, NM Unit 36 (Lincoln National Forest) – – September 1 – 14th Early Season Archery
- NM Unit 34, NM Unit 36 (Lincoln National Forest) – – September 15 – 24th Late Season Archery
Muzzleloader Elk Hunt Units & Dates
- NM Unit 36 (Lincoln National Forest) – – October 6-10, 2018
- NM Unit 34 (Lincoln National Forest) – – October 13-17, 2018
Rifle Elk Hunt Units & Dates
- NM Unit 36 (Lincoln National Forest) – – October 13-17, 2018
- NM Unit 34 (Lincoln National Forest) – – October 20-24, 2018
- NM Unit 36 (Lincoln National Forest) – – October 27-31, 2018
***Call to ask about a guaranteed Elk Tag! There are a limited amount of Landowner tags available in our trophy elk units! Prices may vary. State elk hunting license is required. These tags may be used for archery (Sept. 1-24), or available muzzle loader or rifle dates.
Mule Deer Hunts
Fully Outfitted Public Land ($3,500/hunter) Semi-Guided ($3,000/hunter)
Fully Outfitted Private Land ($4,000/hunter) Semi-Guided ($3,500/hunter)
New Mexico hunting offers some of the biggest mule deer around! Most of our deer hunts take place in units 2B, 2C, 17, and 30-33 of northwest New Mexico. This area of New Mexico has consistently produced monster mule deer, as evidenced by the fact that there are over 138 B&C mule deer entries from this geographic area. Excellent habitat and superior mule deer genetics combine to produce truly trophy class bucks. These units offer various hunting opportunities ranging from October rifle hunts to January archery hunts. We also offer private land hunts on a 7,000 acre ranch located in unit 32.
All 5 day deer hunts will be based out of wall tents, cabin lodging, or modern camping trailers. All hunts include clean accommodations, meals, beverages, and professional guide service.
Mule Deer Hunt Units & Dates
October -November – Muzzleloader and Rifle Hunts
January 1-15th – Late Season Archery
Aoudad (Barbary Sheep) Hunts
New Mexico hunting offers the finest free range Barbary sheep! Whether you are looking for a fully guided hunt on private or public land, we have you covered. With access to one of the best private sheep hunting ranches in NM, we can help you harvest that ram of your dreams. All 4 day/5 night sheep hunts will be based out of wall tents, cabin lodging, or modern camping trailers. All hunts include clean accommodations, meals, beverages, and professional guide service for the entire length of your hunt. Hunts are in Units 29, 30, 32, 34, & 36.
Things to Know
- The Barbary sheep season in NM is February 1-28.
- Tags for private land sheep hunts are issued over the counter (no draw necessary).
- Hunters wishing to hunt sheep on public land must apply for a tag. Application must be made by March 28th. Outfitter will assist you in all aspects of applying for this hunt.
- Bag limit is any one Barbary sheep.
- You may legally use any center fire rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun larger than 28 gauge or bow/arrow.
- The ratio of hunters/guide shall be 2/1, unless specific arrangements have been made for 1/1 guide service.
- Fully Outfitted Public Land Hunt – ($3,500/hunter) Semi-Guided ($3,000/hunter)
- Fully Outfitted Private Land Hunt – ($4,000/hunter) Semi-Guided ($3,500/hunter)
- 50% deposit required within 5 days of booking your hunt, remaining 50% due 5 days prior to scheduled hunt.
- Transportation from the Albuquerque airport to camp can be arranged at an additional cost.
Merriam Turkey Hunts
Come to New Mexico for some exciting turkey hunting! New Mexico has two species of turkey in the Lincoln National Forest, Merriam and Rio Grande. Merriams spend their summers in the higher elevations, breeding, and move down in elevation for the winter months.The Rio Grande turkey is found in lower elevations throughout the state, but is rarer in our hunting units. This hunt is an excellent opportunity to harvest two species of wild turkey in one trip – putting you two turkeys closer to accomplishing the “Turkey Grand Slam”! All 3 day/4 night turkey hunts will be conducted out of wall tent or cabin accommodations, meals, beverages, and professional guide service.
After a light continental breakfast at the lodge, guests will depart for the field with their guides. Typically, it is about a one hour drive to reach our pre-scouted hunting grounds in the neighboring national forest. Your guide will have all the necessary calls, decoys, and blinds to successfully hunt these high country gobblers. Usually around noon, we will break for a delicious field lunch. After lunch and a short midday rest, we are back at it chasing gobblers until the last rays of sunlight disappear. Shortly after arriving back at the lodge, guests will be served a fantastic home cooked dinner. After dinner, you are on your own to enjoy all the amenities our lodge has to offer.
Things to Know
- The spring turkey season in NM is April 15 – May 10. Turkey tags are available over-the-counter.
- Bag limit for the NM spring season is 2 bearded turkeys.
- The ratio of hunters/guide shall be 2/1, unless 1/1 guide service arranged.
- Fully Outfitted 3 day/ 4 night spring turkey- $1,500/hunter (April 15- May 10)
- 2 Day Youth Only Hunt- $1,000/hunter (April 8-10)
- Minimum of 2 hunters per 3 day hunt period.
- Non-hunting guest rate is $100/day.
For all hunts:
Not Included: Pricing does not include 7% NM sales tax, state tags and license cost, meat processing/butchering, taxidermy, or customary guide gratuity. Transportation to hunting camp is the client’s responsibility. Airport pickup and drop-off service can be arranged, please call for rates. Above rates are based on 2×1 guide service, upgrade to 1×1 guide service is an additional $1,000/hunter.
Booking Terms: A 50% deposit is required at the time of booking. If your hunt is draw based, the deposit will be due no later than June 30. The balance is due 14 days before your scheduled hunt. Deposits are non-refundable. Refunds are not issued for emergencies, early departures, weather related delays or events.